A 22-year-old man celebrating the Fourth of July was killed instantly over the weekend when authorities said he tried to launch fireworks from atop his head.
Devon Staples had been drinking with family and friends Saturday night in Calais, Maine, a small town near the Canadian border, when he put a reloadable fireworks mortar tube on his head and threatened to light it, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland told the Associated Press.
I’m not surprised that he had been drinking because people tend to do stupid things when they’ve been drinking.
“There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there,” said 25-year-old Cody Staples, who called it an accident.
“Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh,” he said.
I feel badly for the people who witnessed this, and it’s fortunate that no one else was injured.
Fireworks can be very, very, dangerous, as this incident demonstrates. Fireworks and alcohol are a bad combination. You can enjoy one or the other, but I’d recommend against using both at the same time.